Smart home products – or home appliances that can connect to other devices or networks, like a smartphone – offer convenience and efficiency, and are becoming increasingly popular. From doorbells and locks, to smoke detectors, to thermostats, smart home devices can be controlled from virtually anywhere. Honeywell has a wide range of smart thermostats to choose from that can help manage a home’s energy habits. In this article, we review some of Honeywell’s most popular smart thermostats.
- Honeywell offers a wide range of smart thermostats with the WiFi Smart Color Thermostat, the T9 Smart Thermostat, the T10 Pro Smart Thermostat and the WiFi 9000 Color Touchscreen Thermostat being the most reviewed on their site.
- Most of the newer Honeywell thermostats are smart thermostats, aka WiFi-enabled home automation devices that control a home’s HVAC.
- Google Nest thermostats are only compatible with low voltage HVAC systems.
- With a Honeywell thermostat, you can control it remotely, set it to automatically turn down when no one is home, monitor your HVAC health, set it to send maintenance reminders and savings suggestions, and more.
- Use the EnergySage Marketplace to pair your smart thermostat with emission-free electricity produced right at home!
What’s in this article?
- How do Honeywell thermostats work?
- Smart thermostats offered by Honeywell
- Which Honeywell thermostat is right for you?
How do Honeywell thermostats work?
Honeywell thermostats are smart thermostats, or WiFi-enabled home automation devices that control a home’s HVAC. Just like traditional thermostats, Honeywell thermostats are wall-mounted control systems that display a zone’s temperature and settings. However, unlike traditional thermostats, Honeywell thermostats can be controlled remotely, learn your temperature preferances, monitor HVAC health, send maintenance reminders and savings suggestions, and more.
Once installed, most Honeywell thermostats connect to the Alexa app, Google Home app, or the Honeywell Total Connect Comfort App, allowing users to adjust the temperature of their homes from anywhere and receive alerts to catch potential issues early on. Some of the thermostats are able to sense unusual heating or cooling patterns and trigger the apps to send an HVAC system alert at first detection. The newer thermostats can also use proximity to automatically adjust temperatures to save energy when no one is home.
Smart thermostats offered by Honeywell
Honeywell offers a range of thermostats; the WiFi Smart Color Thermostat, T9 Smart Thermostat, T10 Pro Smart Thermostat and WiFi 9000 Color Touchscreen Thermostat are the most reviewed thermostats on Honeywell’s site.
WiFi Smart Color Thermostat
The WiFi Smart Color Thermostat is one of Honeywell’s best-selling smart thermostats. This thermostat enables you to control the temperature of your home from anywhere – whether you’re home or not! Through the Honeywell Total Connect Comfort App, you can monitor and adjust your heating and cooling usage, view the indoor humidity levels, and receive email alerts related to your safety, comfort and energy usage patterns. You can set it to send you alerts when there’s an extreme temperature change expected as well as when your filters need to be cleaned. The WiFi Smart Color Thermostat has seven day programming features, is ENERGY STAR certified, and has a customizable screen to match your home’s surrounding decor.
T9 Smart Thermostat
The T9 Smart Thermostat has learning capabilities to understand your temperature patterns and allows you to program a customized seven day schedule. The thermostat sends you alerts when humidity or temperature falls above or below your set range. The thermostat pairs well with smart room sensors to help you adjust the temperature from anywhere and stay cozy in the rooms that matter. You can place sensors where you want to see each room’s temperature and humidity or use the multi-room display on the thermostat’s touch screen – or in the Resideo app – to focus on rooms based on occupancy or a specific schedule you choose. When focusing on multiple rooms, the T9 works toward creating an average temperature, balancing the needs across the whole home.
T10 Pro Smart Thermostat
The T10 Pro Smart Thermostat is one of the most advanced thermostats Honeywell offers. Like the T9 model, the T10 Pro Smart Thermostat pairs well with Smart Room Sensors to help you adjust the temperature from anywhere. With an extensive five-year warranty, customizable touch screen, and safety alert features, this thermostat is meant for ultimate comfort and safety. The T10 Pro has the ability to pair with sensors to customize your humidity and temperature level specifically for each room in the house.
WiFi 9000 Color Touchscreen Thermostat
The WiFI 9000 Color Touchscreen Thermostat is a customizable and programmable thermostat created specifically to optimize your energy consumption and save on monthly bills. The color changing display is created to match your home decor and displays both inside and outside temperature as well as humidity levels. With its energy saving and away modes, this a great choice for you if you’re frequently away from home but still like to monitor the temperature in your house. You can set schedules corresponding to your activity on this thermostat and customize each mode to run at a certain time.
Other Honeywell thermostats to consider
- WiFi 7-Day Programmable Thermostat: priced at $69, this thermostat connects to your home WiFi and enables you to create a seven day cooling and heating schedule to match your lifestyle.
- T6 Pro Smart Thermostat: this Honeywell thermostat has the ability to learn your preferred heating and cooling patterns and can even integrate into your smart home ecosystem to set songs and lighting changes.
- VisionPro 8000 WiFi Programmable Thermostat: in addition to managing the temperature in your home, this thermostat can monitor a whole-home humidifier, dehumidifier, or ventilator for fine-tuned comfort.
- T5 Smart Thermostat: the T5 model uses geosensing to gauge your temperature preferences and adjust itself depending on your location and presence in the house.
- WiFi Smart Thermostat: with a customizable touch screen, this thermostat seamlessly integrates into your smart home, pairing with most applications to be controlled via your voice and the app.
- RET97E5D WiFi Programmable Thermostat: this lightweight, WiFi enabled smart thermostat is specifically designed for energy saving and programmability to match your schedule.
Are Honeywell thermostats compatible with all HVAC systems?
Like most smart thermostats, Honeywell thermostats aren’t compatible with all HVAC systems, working only with low voltage systems. If you’re not sure if your HVAC system is compatible, Honeywell includes a list of signs that may indicate you have a low voltage system, including:
- You have a furnace, central air conditioning, heat pump, boiler, or split system
- You have vents along the floors of your rooms
- If you change your thermostat, it affects multiple rooms
To get better insight into whether your HVAC system is compatible, check out Honeywell’s wiring compatibility tool.
Which Honeywell thermostat is right for you?
The energy savings for all the Honeywell thermostats vary slightly. App compatibility, price, and additional features such as learning capabilities are different for each model. Overall, things like your design, app, and display preferences, HVAC system, desired level of convenience, and budget will help you determine which thermostat is right for your home.
Comparing Honeywell thermostats
|WiFi Smart Color Thermostat||T9 Smart Thermostat||T10 Smart Thermostat||WiFi 9000 Color Touchscreen Thermostat|
|App compatibility||Amazon Alexa, Google Home App, Total Connect Comfort App||Amazon Alexa, Google Home App, Total Connect Comfort App, If This Then That, Cortona, Samsung SmartThings, Apple Homekit||Amazon Alexa, Google Home App, Total Connect Comfort App, If This Then That, Cortona, Samsung SmartThings, Apple Homekit||Amazon Alexa, Google Home App, Total Connect Comfort App, If This Then That|
|Warranty length||1 year||2 years||5 years||5 years|
|Color of the model||Silver||White||White||White|
|Display||High-res digital display||High-res digital display||High-res digital display||High-res digital display|
|Includes Farsight display (time, temperature, or weather)||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|ENERGY STAR certified||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Turns itself down when you’re away||-||✔||✔||✔|
|Voice control compatibility||✔||✔||✔||✔|
Power your home with the sun
Pair your smart thermostat with emission-free electricity produced right at home by shopping for solar through the EnergySage Marketplace! EnergySage provides you with qualified quote comparisons from local installers to help you find a solar system that fits both your energy and budget needs. Sign up to receive free quotes from qualified, pre-vetted installers so you can start the process of going solar today!