How do I claim the solar tax credit (ITC)?

How to Claim the Solar Tax Credit EnergySage

If you’re considering solar, you’ve probably heard about the federal solar tax credit, also known as the Investment Tax Credit (ITC). The Federal ITC makes solar more affordable for homeowners and businesses by granting a dollar-for-dollar tax deduction equal to 30% of the total cost of a solar energy system.

What does 30% actually mean for the average solar shopper? According to EnergySage marketplace data, the average national gross cost of installing a solar panel system in the first half of 2015 was $29,225. At that price, the solar tax credit can reduce your federal tax burden by $8,768 – and that’s just one of many rebates and incentives that can reduce the cost of solar for homeowners.

There’s plenty of information out there about the value of the residential ITC, but figuring out how to actually claim the credit when it comes time to file your taxes is another story. We’ll walk you through the process step by step from Form 5695 to Form 1040.

Ready to compare solar quotes now? Click to find installers near you

The 3 steps to claim the solar tax credit

1. Determine if you are eligible for the Federal ITC – make sure you credit for ownership and that federal tax liability are in order
  2. Complete IRS Form 5965 to validate your qualification for renewable energy credits
  3. Add your renewable energy credit information to your typical form 1040

First things first: am I eligible for the solar tax credit?

You are eligible for the Federal ITC as long as you own your solar energy system, rather than lease it. If you sign a lease agreement, the third-party owner gets the solar tax credit associated with the system. This is also true for the vast majority of state and local incentives for solar, although in some special cases a lease will grant you the financial benefits associated with the sale of solar renewable energy certificates (SRECs). You are also eligible even if the solar energy system is not on your primary residence – as long as you own the property and live in it for part of the year, you can claim the solar tax credit.

If your federal tax liability is lower than the total amount of your ITC savings, you can still take advantage of it by carrying over any remaining credits to the following year.

how to claim solar ITC graphic

Here’s an example: You pay $25,000 to install a solar system on your home in 2015, which means you are eligible for a $7,500 federal solar tax credit. If your federal tax liability for 2015 is only $6,000, you will owe no federal taxes that year, and in 2016, you will reduce your tax liability by $1,500.

Take advantage of the solar ITC now – get an instant estimate of what solar can save you!

How do I fill out IRS Form 5695 for 2016?

Claiming the ITC is easy. All you need to do is complete IRS Form 5695, “Residential Energy Credits,” and include the final result of that form on IRS Form 1040.

Please note: At EnergySage, we are solar experts, not tax experts! Tax codes are complicated, so consult your tax advisor before deciding what is best for you.

How to complete Form 5695

Form 5695 calculates tax credits for a variety of qualified residential energy improvements, including geothermal heat pumps, solar panels, solar water heating, small wind turbines, and fuel cells. We’ll use the national average gross cost of a solar energy system as an example.

• First, you will need to know the qualified solar electric property costs. That is the total gross cost of your solar energy system after any cash rebates. Add that to line 1.
  • Insert the total cost of any additional energy improvements, if any, on lines 2 through 4, and add them up on line 5.

taxform1-2

• On line 6, multiply line 5 by 30%. This is the amount of the solar tax credit.

taxform2-2

• Assuming you are not also receiving a tax credit for fuel cells installed on your property, and you aren’t carrying forward any credits from last year, put the value from line 6 on line 13.

Now you need to calculate if you will have enough tax liability to get the full 30% credit in one year.

• Complete the worksheet on page 4 of the instructions for Form 5695 to calculate the limit on tax credits you can claim. If you are claiming tax credits for adoption expenses, interest on a mortgage, buying a home for the first time, or buying a plug-in hybrid or electric vehicle, you will need that information here. (For this example, total federal tax liability is $7,000.)

Energysage energy efficiency worksheet

• Enter the result on line 14 of Form 5695. Review line 13 and line 14, and put the smaller of the two values on line 15.
  • If your tax liability is smaller than your tax credits, subtract line 15 from line 13, and enter it on line 16. That’s the amount you can claim on next year’s taxes.

taxform3-2

Add credit to Form 1040

The value on line 15 is the amount that will be credited on your taxes this year. Enter that value into Form 1040, line 53 (or Form 1040NR, line 50).

taxform4-2

The steps above outline all you need to do to have 30% of the cost of your solar panel system credited back to you! If you did energy efficiency improvements to your home in the same year, you may also need to complete page 2 of Form 5695. Either way, be sure to include Form 5695 when you submit your taxes to the IRS.

Additional Solar Energy Resources

how to claim solar ITC graphic

31 thoughts on “How do I claim the solar tax credit (ITC)?

1. Sara Matasci Post author

Hi Brooke,
      The ITC is a tax credit, but it isn’t a refundable tax credit, which means that you can’t get more money back than you owe in taxes in one year. However, the solar tax credit does carry over if you can’t claim it all in one year. For example, if you have a $3,000 credit but only owe $2,000 in federal taxes in Year 1, you can apply the remaining $1,000 credit in Year 2.

1. Steve

Can anyone help me find the appropriate tax forms for the Connecticut solar incentive rebate? I have been searching with no real results. There is information everywhere about the incentive and how it works but nowhere can I find how to apply instructions? Turbotax applied the credit to my federal return but nothing on the state return. Thanks.

2. sophia

i have a question
    if i am employeed by a company and i am paying taxes monthly .. obviously by the end of the Year i do not owe the IRS correct?
    so than i can not claim the 30% tax credit?

3. Deborah Stewart

You are withholding taxes from your paycheck close to what you owe at the end of year. If you owe 2000.0O in taxes and if using your credit makes your tax liability zero any amount withheld as estimated taxes will be issued as a refund. The following year you can change your withholding and get more in your paycheck while carrying forward any balance not used. Just remember to change your withholding back when the credit is used up.

4. Alex A

Quick question. If I purchase solar panels in 2016 for a home that is my primary residence in 2016 but end up renting the home in 2017 can I still claim the 30% tax credit?

5. Kyle C

Does replacement batteries on an off grid system qualify? What about the back up propane generator as a part of the system as a whole?

1. Keith

Does anyone know the answer to Kyle’s question? I too am facing having to replace batteries in my PV solar system.

6. Jordan

So what happens when I get a refund every year.
    I always over pay so for example

They withheld: 5,000
    Used: 4,000
    Tax return = 1,000

If I have a credit of 6,000 in solar, then do I get all of the 5,000 that was withheld back as a refund? Or does it mean I am not a good candidate for the tax incentive?

1. Alicia

Kat,
        I don’t think anyone answered Jordan’s question. I am in a similar situation so if you or someone else knows how that would work please chime in! Any information would be helpful.
        Thanks!

1. Clint

It is not a refundable tax credit meaning it will only cover your tax liability at the end of the year. The best way to take advantage of the credit is to change your federal withholdings so you owe money at the end of the year and use your tax credit to pay for this shortfall. It is best advised, however, to talk to your accountant or a tax professional.

1. Paul

I don’t think so. Income tax liability refers to the total amount of tax you owe for the given year before taking the amount withheld into account.

2. David Carson

Take and file exempt. You won’t get a refund but you’ll get it back with each paycheque. That’s what I’ve had to do.

7. Tom Hallford

Hello:

Must the purchaser of the system OWN the home on which the system is installed in order to claim the tax credit? What if my parents, who live in my home but are not on the title or mortgage, purchase the system? Would they get the ITC?

8. Amanda Perez

If I purchased solar and upon the purchase of our new home requested that the seller pay half of the solar. Do I enter the total amount of the solar on the tax form or just the portion I paid?

9. Bon Bon

I think it would be wise to mention in this article that ITC is also exempt from AMT. Something most people don’t know about.

10. Hal Kaplan

This article states:
    “You are also eligible even if the solar energy system is not on your primary residence – as long as you own the property and live in it for part of the year, you can claim the solar tax credit.”
    In addition, a Dept. of Energy website (http://energy.gov/savings/residential-renewable-enegry-tax-credit) states:
    “The home served by the system does not have to be the taxpayer’s principal residence.”
    However, IRS Form 5695 line 17a asks if the improvements were for your main home. If you answer “No” you can’t claim the credit.
    How can I claim the credit for a second (vacation) home?

1. Hal Kaplan

I think I’ve answered my own question (with the help of my PhD daughter). There are two types of tax credits handled on Form 5695: The Residential Energy Efficient Property Credit (reported in Part I) and the Nonbusiness Energy Property Credit (reported in Part II). If you’re only claiming the former, you only fill out Part I and stop at line 15 (or 16 if there’s a carryover). Therefore, you never get to the more restrictive test in Part II which has the main home test on line 17a. This conclusion is further supported by the instructions for form 5695 which clearly states for Part I that “The home doesn’t have to be your main home.” Case closed.

11. Alfredo Garcia

I am a disabled Veteran 100% but I learned that only my retirement pay can only be taxed. I don’t think I will be eligible to receive 7,000 dollars.
    I did get the loan for 16,000 but not the 23,000 thousand. I did write to the person about this maybe I’ll get it the 23,000 loan and maybe I won’t.
    Do you know any disabled veterans like my position? That did or did not get the tax breaks?

12. Virginia Barnum

All I get is social security. I pay no taxes. I have the solar panels already installed. The salesman in formed us of a government refund. How do I file this?

13. Dave Thompson

I was offered used solar modules that had been in service for 3 years. Does the fact they are used solar modules compromise my ability to earn the tax credit?

14. Tammy L. Drake

My parents are retired and had some solar panels put in and were told by the installers that they could deduct them from there taxes. However, since they didn’t earn any income for the year they were told they couldn’t deduct them. This deduction was an incentive used by the solar panel company, Needless to say, my parents are very upset about this.

15. Bob Ganzelli

We just put on a new roof with a thermal heat barrier and two solar attic fans. Is the cost eligible for the 30% tax credit on the solar fans?