Health & Environmental Benefits of Solar Energy

Health and environmental benefits of solar energyHomeowners and utilities alike are choosing solar energy at a faster rate than ever before in the United States. The explosive growth of solar power is partly a result of the falling cost of solar panels. Rebates and incentives have also contributed to the United States’ biggest year ever for solar. But decreasing costs are only one of the many benefits of solar energy. You can also improve your health and protect the environment by reducing your reliance on fossil fuels and installing a solar energy system at your home or business.

Ready to compare solar quotes now? Click to find installers near you

The environmental benefit of solar energy

Solar energy creates clean, renewable power from the sun and benefits the environment. Alternatives to fossil fuels reduce carbon footprint at home and abroad, reducing greenhouse gases around the globe. Solar is known to have a favorable impact on the environment.

Most of the electricity generated in the U.S. comes from fossil fuels like coal and natural gas. Extracting and using fossil fuels is expensive and harmful to the environment. By contrast, solar energy is free and readily abundant – if we could capture all of the sun’s energy shining on the Earth for just one hour, we could power the entire world for one year!

By investing in solar energy, you can help reduce our reliance on fossil fuels in favor of one of the most abundant, consistent sources of energy we have available: our sun.

environmental solar benefits

Solar energy decreases greenhouse gas emissions

Generating electricity with solar power instead of fossil fuels can dramatically reduce greenhouse gas emissions, particularly carbon dioxide (CO2). Greenhouse gases, which are produced when fossil
fuels are burned, lead to rising global temperatures and climate change. Climate change already contributes to serious environmental and public health issues in the Northeast, including extreme weather events, rising sea levels, and ecosystem changes.

By going solar, you can reduce demand for fossil fuels, limit greenhouse gas emissions, and shrink your carbon footprint. One home installing a solar energy system can have a measurable effect on the environment. According to the U.S. Energy Information Administration, the average home with solar panels in Connecticut uses 8,756 kilowatt-hours (kWh) of electricity per year. Switching from fossil fuels to solar power in the state has the same emissions reduction effect as planting 155 trees every year.

In New York, the average home uses 7,092 kWh of electricity annually. Choosing a clean source of electricity like solar panels can eliminate the same amount of carbon emissions that would result from burning 5,253 pounds of coal each year.

Solar energy reduces respiratory and cardio health issues

One of the biggest benefits of solar energy is that it results in very few air pollutants. An analysis by the National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) found that widespread solar adoption would significantly reduce nitrous oxides, sulfur dioxide, and particulate matter emissions, all of which can cause health problems. NREL found that, among other health benefits, solar power results in fewer cases of chronic bronchitis, respiratory and cardiovascular problems, and lost workdays related to health issues.

The benefits of solar energy are clear. Not only can you save money on your electric bills – you can also reduce your carbon footprint and improve the health of those around you. Compare quotes today to see how much you can save by going solar.

Home Energy Upgrades You May Like

Note: This post contains affiliate links. We only link to products that we think are great.

13 thoughts on “Health & Environmental Benefits of Solar Energy

1. Varsha Bansal

Very nicely written blog explaining several important advantages of solar power. We should harness the power sun because it is a redeemable source of energy above all it do not affect the environment.

2. Pingback: Renewable Energy Out Ranks Fossil Fuels - SolarGem

3. Skylar Williams

Solar energy is a great alternative to fossil fuels. Renewable energy sources seems to be highly sought after. Especially now that the environment is a focus. I have solar panels on top of my house. I have never regretted getting them.

4. Maggie

You make a really good point about how solar energy is always available for people to use. I think that this goes along with how self-sufficient solar can be as an energy source. Instead of needing to rely on the delivery of oil, you can just be relieved knowing that you can always have power. That’s a really comforting thing to know, and it allows you to be more prepared in case there is ever a disaster!

5. Scott

I like that you point out that solar panels help decrease greenhouse gases. I can see how reducing the amount of energy spent on heating a house via a gas furnace would help improve the atmosphere. My sister is thinking about moving into a house that doesn’t have solar panels. I’ll have to refer her to this website so she can research that benefits.

6. Tomas Killington

I recently moved into an new home. I have always been intrigued by solar panels because I wanted to reduce my electrical bill. I never considered that solar panels can actually reduce our carbon footprint. That’s just another great reason for me to consider making the leap!

7. Kallol Parida

Government should create a policy to mandate implementation of solar systems at least in offices and institutions. It not only saves fossil Fuels but also helps in reduction of atmospheric heat.

8. Rachel Lannister

Loved reading this, thanks for writing it. You wrote that using solar power instead of fossil fuels can reduce greenhouse gases, which are the leading contributors to climate change. I really want to do my part in preventing climate change, so perhaps solar panels would be a great start. I’ll have to find a service that installs these eco-friendly solar panels.

9. Pooja Thakur

Solar electricity is a green renewable energy and does not release any harmful carbon dioxide or other pollutants. A typical home solar PV system could save over a tonne and a half of carbon dioxide per year – that’s more than 30 tonnes over its lifetime.

10. John

I thought it was interesting to learn that solar energy actually reduces respiratory issues. According to the article, solar energy cuts down on harmful air pollutants that cause heath problems. It’s good to know that solar energy can benefit people just as much as it benefits the environment. Another benefit that I’ve heard of is that you can usually get a tax break if you have solar panels installed in your home. Is that true?

11. Kourtney Jensen

The biggest advantage of solar energy I think of, and that you mentioned, is that it’s a lot better on the environment. Instead of burning fossil fuels that pollute the environment, you have solar panels producing the energy to run whatever it is that it’s connected to. When driving around, I’ve seen solar panels on street signs and street lights. It’s pretty cool to see them around more and more, whether its for commercial use or for your home. Solar energy is super beneficial and can be positive for anyone who takes advantage of it.

12. Alex Dean

Lately it seems that a lot of places are turning to solar energy, and I was curious to know if there were any benefits that came with it. I like how you pointed out that when people have solar panels installed that it can reduce respiratory and cardio issues, since they help decrease the amount of air pollutants. To me this is something that is amazing, I would like to do all I can to make sure that this world that will help may children to live just a little longer.